Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hand-made fabric roses

Hello everyone! Thanks to my friend Amanda,  I've recently learned a new craft I'd like to share with you along with some new cards I made to complete an order. I'm currently working on Mother's Day and Graduation, so more to come! Here are some adorable roses I have made:
This one is the perfect size for a card. I hot glued a flat backed pearl for the center.

This lavender one is large enough to use as a corsage. You could still use it on a card, or it would be a beautiful embellishment to a scrapbook page or other crafts.This was my first, and the edges burnt a bit. I took a darker ink pad and ran it around the edges and it covered it up quite nicely. I really think for an old/vintage feel, burnt edges might actually look quite cute with the right embellishments. I'm going to give it a try when I make more this week.  I hot glued a button and a gem for the center.

Here are some in use.


.This rose I cut a slit in each layer with a craft knife and attached with cute brad.

 The poly-satin is repurposed from clothing. (next I have a pair of pajammas that will be repurposed) I have also recently purchased some poly satin from my local craft store in a rainbow of colors, along with some colored tulle, feathers, and other embellishments.


Instructions:

1. Cut circles in increasing sizes. You can add as many layers as you'd like. The circles don't even have to be perfectly round. I cut all mine by hand, not using a template.

2. One circle at a time, very carefully use a lighter to melt the edges and they will curl. It took a couple practices to learn how quickly they curl, and how close to hold the lighter. With these smaller roses, I used long tweezers to hold the fabric. Don't want to burn my digits!

3. Assemble using hot glue, or you can cut a slit in each one and attach with a brad. Embellish as you wish.

4. For larger corsage/pin types, I suggest using a circle of felt, or cardstock to the back to hide all your work and give it a finished look.

I hope you enjoy this, and are inspired to make your own. I'd love your feedback and see your work!

I have also completed an order of sympathy cards for friend:

This one is a classic example that sometimes a mistake can be a beautiful thing-I had no intention of adding the flowers, however, when hot-gluing the chipboard swirls, I had a couple glue blobs. I tried to pull some of the glue away and tore a spot on the paper. Ugh! I didn't want to start over, so I found these flowers and added them to the swirls for cammoflage. I then added the larger flower on the left to give it a cohesive look.


I love my cuttlebug! I used a very pale yellow paper in my embossing folder. I then took a yellow stamp pad and lightly slid it across the embossing. Using Spellbinders Nestabilities dies, I cut out the sentiment. I love the color combo to this card, and think I will do something similiar for a Mother's Day card.

2 comments:

  1. I love your cards and the special touches of love you put into them. I am a very new blogger too. You inspire and encourage me seeing how you are creating in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you very much for the compliment! I get told that a lot. I like to be very personal in a craft I'm giving anyone. I usually gear them toward their favorite colors, activities, or design style. I don't blog very often, but this is a busy time for me. I have just received an order of 5 roses to be made as hair barettes, and I only had intentions of making them for cards- I'm very excited!

      Delete